How to Make the World’s Greatest Kebab Recipe
In fact, I could eat it every single day and not get tired of it. But sometimes you just want to mix things up a little bit! I love kebap.
That’s where this recipe comes in. It gives your favorite kebap dish a spicy kick and makes it even tastier than before. Plus, it’s easy to make at home so you don’t have to wait for takeout or the greasy food at that chain restaurant on the highway exit ramp—you can enjoy homemade Greek food whenever you want! So, what are we waiting for? Let’s get started!
What is Kebap
Kebap is a Turkish dish, but it’s also a Greek dish. In fact, it’s the official national food of Greece. That’s right: kabobs are so popular in Greece that they’ve been adopted by the locals as their own.
But what exactly is kebap? It’s an American-Greek-Turkish-Turkish-Greek dish! And it’s delicious!
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
To make the kebabs, add all of the ingredients to a large mixing bowl and mix well. Let marinate for at least 4 hours before grilling. Heat a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat and place the kebabs on it. Cook until they are cooked through, about 8 minutes.
- Make sure to cook the sausages until they are brown and crisp on all sides.
- You can use any kind of chicken sausage for this recipe, but I prefer chicken merguez.
- Don’t forget to add the lemon slices! They’re really important!
- It’s important to use a meat thermometer to ensure your meat is cooked thoroughly.
- Make sure you don’t over-cook the meat, as this can cause it to become dry and tough.
- The longer you marinate the meat, the better.
- To make them simpler to spin, use double skewers.
- To ensure that the interior of the steak pieces stays beautifully pink, use bamboo or wooden skewers.
- Keep some room between the ingredients so that the meal grills rather than steams (more space than in the photo above; I sort of missed that part when I cooked the batch displayed).
- The meat benefits most from marinating for a lengthy time.
- Use double skewers to make spinning them easier.
- Use bamboo or wooden skewers to keep the inside of the steak pieces attractively pink.
- To ensure that the food grills rather than steams, leave some space between the ingredients (more space than in the photo above; I sort of missed that part when I cooked the batch displayed).
A lengthy marinating period is best for the meat
For easy spinning, use multiple skewers.
To preserve the interior of the steak pieces pleasantly pink, use bamboo or wooden skewers.
Leave some space between the components so that the meal grills rather than steams (more space than in the photo above; I sort of missed that part when I cooked the batch displayed).
The Best Kebab Marinade
The marinating of the beef pieces is essential to this kebab preparation. This marinade combines the following ingredients:
Olive oil extra virgin
liquor from red wine
Add-ins and Variations
- If you’re not a fan of lamb, you can use beef, chicken or even pork in this recipe instead. You could also add mushrooms and green peppers to add more flavor and color to the dish.
- Thanasis Kebap is usually served with Greek salad on the side but it can also be served on top of rice or pasta instead! Make sure to follow our instructions for making your own Greek salad dressing so you’ll get the authentic taste!
To store, keep in the fridge and cover. This will last for 3-4 days. If you want to keep it longer, freeze!
Make it today!
You’ll want to make this kebab tonight! It’s a great meal choice, and it’s easy to make. Plus, it’s healthy and delicious—you can’t lose with this one.
Serving suggestions for kebabs
We recommend serving these kebabs with a straightforward green salad on a weekday if you’re cooking them for supper. Choose the traditional dishes for a backyard barbeque buffet, such as potato salad, macaroni salad, or three bean salad.
Kebabs are convenient and adaptable, so we adore grilling them. When serving a large group, the many component combinations provide a wealth of delicious options. These dishes have a variety of mouthwatering meats, fruits, and veggies along with strong tastes.
We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do! It’s a family favorite and one of our go to meals when it comes to quick and easy dinners. If you have any questions or comments please don’t hesitate to reach out! We love hearing from our readers.