Cajun Style Shrimp and Sausage Pasta
I love pasta. It’s one of my favorite foods, and it’s also an easy way to make dinner. This recipe is perfect for weeknight dinners because it uses ingredients you probably have on hand.
It also tastes so good that even your pickiest eater will love it!
- Pasta shells (I used mini shells, but any will work)
- Celery stalks and leaves from 1 stalk of celery, chopped finely (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 small onion)
- Green bell pepper, seeded and diced into small pieces
- All-purpose Cajun seasoning blend
- Garlic cloves to taste – I used about 6 cloves total. You can add more if you want more garlic flavor in your dish!
1 package of pasta shells
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped (about 1/2 pound)
2 tablespoons of butter
To saute the vegetables, melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and continue to cook until it softens slightly, about 3 more minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients except for the pasta and serve hot!
1/2 cup chopped celery
- Begin by chopping the celery into small pieces.
- If you have a food processor, use it to finely chop the celery. If not, go ahead and use a knife or a vegetable peeler to do so.
1 onion, diced
In a small pan over medium heat, cook the onions in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until soft. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3 to 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves – cut into bite size pieces
Chicken breast is a great alternative to ground beef. It’s also lower in fat and calories than beef, which makes it an ideal choice if you’re trying to lose weight or cut your cholesterol levels.
If you’re not sure where to start with cooking chicken breasts, here’s how: Cook them in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until they are fully cooked through (165 degrees) and no longer pink in the center (170 degrees). Then remove them from the oven and let cool down before removing them from their skins (or just throw away).
2 cups chopped cooked shrimp
Shrimp is generally easier to cook than other seafood. Simply bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the shrimp. Let it boil for about 3 minutes, then drain them and cool under cold water.
- If you want to peel your own shrimp, boil for about 1 minute on each side (but be careful when removing from heat! The shells can be tough).
1 teaspoon salt
Salt is a flavoring and preservative that balances out the other flavors. It also adds a little extra crunch to your pasta, which makes it all the more satisfying when you bite into it!
1/4 teaspoon white pepper (or more to taste)
In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, onion and bell pepper. In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together the cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Stir into shrimp mixture along with garlic powder and white pepper (or more if desired). Stir in Cajun seasoning until thoroughly mixed; stir in parsley flakes last.
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour mixed with 1 cup water (slurry)
To thicken the sauce, you can use a slurry. A slurry is a mixture of liquid and flour that can be used to thicken sauces and gravies. It’s easy to prepare in advance and store in the fridge until needed. Simply mix 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour with 1 cup water (slurry) until smooth and refrigerate for up to 24 hours before using as directed below.
I hope you enjoy this pasta recipe as much as we have! It’s a versatile dish that can be made ahead, so it is perfect for those busy nights when you don’t want to spend too much time in the kitchen. You will love how easy it is to make and even better once it is served up with some fresh veggies on top or perhaps some garlic bread or sourdough bread slices!
Leave a Reply