Best Cajun Chicken and Prawn Stir Fry
This is a delicious recipe that doesn’t take long to make at all. And because it’s full of protein-rich ingredients like chicken and prawns (or shrimp), it’s also healthy as well as tasty!
It only takes about 30 minutes to cook, so it’s a handy meal for those busy weeknights when you need something fast. You can make it with whatever vegetables you have in the fridge, but I’ve suggested some of my favorites below. When I made it, I served it with steamed rice and some stir fried vegetables. It’s quick and easy to cook – perfect for a weekday evening meal when you don’t have much time on your hands!
Preparation time15 minutes, Cooking time 10-15 minutes
- Heat oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Stir-fry the chicken for 4 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through, stirring occasionally. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and place on a plate lined with paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Add prawns to the same pan and stir-fry for 2 minutes or until cooked through, stirring regularly so they don’t stick together. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon onto another plate lined with paper towel to drain excess oil before setting aside along with the chicken pieces (you can leave them both in the fridge if you want).
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- ½ c olive oil (divided)
- 4 cups wilted spinach (3 oz box) *if you don’t have any, use frozen spinach and cook it in the microwave until thawed, then drain well before adding to stir-fry
2 chicken breasts, cut into strips
Now that you’ve collected all the ingredients, it’s time to start cooking!
1/2 tsp garlic
In a small bowl, stir together 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp paprika and 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper.
Add the mixture to your oiled pan and cook on medium heat until fragrant (about 30 seconds). Use more or less of the spice blend depending on how spicy you want it!
1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (use more if you like it spicy)
In a large bowl, whisk together 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon paprika and 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper. Add 1 pound each of chicken breast and prawns (peeled and deveined) along with 2 tablespoons cornstarch and toss to coat evenly. Heat 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering then add half of the chicken mixture; toss constantly for about 3 minutes or until it turns opaque on all sides. Remove from pan then repeat with remaining chicken mixture.
1 tbsp oil, 200g wilted spinach
200g wilted spinach (the amount of spinach used will depend on how much you like)
100g prawns, 1/2 lemon juice, fresh parsley and steamed rice to serve.
Prawns are a type of shellfish. They are related to shrimp, and are popular as a food in many countries. Here is a list of prawn facts:
- Prawns are high in protein, iron and vitamins A and B12. They also contain zinc, which helps fight colds or flu when you are tired after running around all day.
- Prawns can be eaten raw but they have more flavour when cooked lightly over high heat so that their meat becomes firm but tender without drying out completely. This will make them easier to peel too!
Serves with Rice or Noodles
This recipe can be served with rice, noodles, or simply on its own. If you choose to serve it with pasta or rice, you will need to adjust the amount of sauce accordingly. If you choose to serve this dish with noodles: 1/2 cup of uncooked rice will be used per serving (1 cup cooked).
This recipe is quick to make, and it’s healthy too. It’s great for a family dinner or even a quick meal when you want something that also tastes great.
Leave a Reply