Try This Blackened Tilapia Recipe Tonight.
Blackened tilapia is a delicious fish dish made with a spicy Cajun seasoning and served over alfredo sauce. This meal is easy to make, satisfying, and tasty!
1. Place a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and add butter.
In a large cast iron skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat until it foams and subsides. The pan is hot enough when you can see that the butter is sizzling and browning at the edges.
2. Combine dry spices in a bowl.
Add the dry spices to a bowl and stir to combine.
3. Sprinkle the dry rub evenly over both sides of the tilapia fillets then set aside.
- Sprinkle the dry rub evenly over both sides of the tilapia fillets then set aside.
- Dry rub is a mixture of spices, usually including salt, pepper, garlic powder and/or onion powder. This step is optional; if you don’t have any dry rub or want to skip this step, simply skip ahead to step 4.
4. Place each fillet in the pan and cook on each side for 4 minutes or until blackened, crispy and cooked through.
To cook the fish, place each fillet in a cast iron skillet and cook on medium-high heat for 4 minutes per side. The fillets are done when they are blackened, crispy, and cooked through. Remove fillets from pan and set aside to keep warm.
The fish should be cooked through, but not over-cooked or dried out. If you like your fish blackened and charred, then by all means go for it! Serve with the cajun alfredo sauce (recipe below).
- Add garlic to the skillet and saute for about 30 seconds, then add two tablespoons of flour to absorb some of the fat/juices left behind in the skillet from cooking the fish.
- Using a whisk, mix flour into sauce until smooth and no lumps remain.
- Add butter, milk and cream to your pan, whisking until thickened (about 2 minutes).
- Remove sauce from heat; stir in cheese until melted and serve over pasta or rice!
- Season with salt & pepper as desired!
5. Whisk altogether then add milk and heavy cream, whisking constantly until thickened (about 3-5 minutes).
Now we are going to whisk together all of our ingredients for the blackened tilapia. This includes: butter, milk, heavy cream, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Whisk everything together really good for about 5 minutes. It’s very important that you whisk continuously when cooking this dish so be sure not to take your eyes off it!
Now pour in some white wine (or chicken broth if you prefer). Let this simmer on low heat while you prepare your pasta noodles according to package instructions (usually just boil them until they’re al dente). Once they’re done cooking strain out any excess water then dump them back into pot with sauce mixture on top of them. You’ve got yourself a great meal!
6. A rich creamy sauce with crisp tilapia is a tasty combination
- Stir in freshly grated Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper, whisking constantly until bubbly and smooth (about 2 minutes). If sauce is too thick, add additional milk or heavy cream a tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Transfer to a serving bowl using slotted spoon to avoid any large pieces of blackened fish or broccoli.
- Place fish on a serving dish and top with Cajun Alfredo Sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley if desired before serving immediately.
If you like this recipe, don’t forget to share it on social media so others can enjoy it too!