To get notified about new video uploads, subscribe to Well+Good’s channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Wellandgood
On this episode of Cook With Us, we’re challenging chef Lukas Volger to create a vegan version of the French classic: beef bourguignon. If you crave French cuisine but want to skip on the animal products, this recipe is definitely for you. It brings all the flavor of the classic recipe, but also packs a huge nutritional punch of fiber, antioxidants, and other nutrients from all the colorful veggies and mushrooms. Oh, and did we mention that it comes together in just 30 minutes? Watch to see how it’s made, and check out the full recipe below! #veganbeefbourguignonrecipe #beetbourguignon #wellandgood
BEET BOURGUIGNON RECIPE:
¼ ounce dried porcini mushrooms (8 grams)
2 medium beets (8 ounces), peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
8 ounces button or crimini mushrooms, quartered, or another variety—cut or torn into bite-sized pieces
2 celery stalks, finely diced
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced
½ medium onion, finely diced
2 bay leaves
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup dry red wine (ideally one from the Burgandy region!)
½ teaspoon vegetable bullion (such as Better than Bullion) or ½ vegetable bullion cube, dissolved in a few teaspoons hot water
¼ cup black or dark green lentils, rinsed
Freshly ground black pepper
Minced parsley for garnish
1. In a tall measuring cup, cover the porcini mushrooms with about 2 cups boiling water. Let stand until tender, about 10 minutes. Pick out the mushrooms and coarsely chop them. Reserve the soaking liquid.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the beets, 3/4 cups water, and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, then cover the pan and cook for about 15 minutes, until tender.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fresh mushrooms, spreading them out in a single layer, and cook, stirring the pan just once or twice, until the mushrooms are tender and seared a bit. Remove from the heat.
4. In a Dutch oven, heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat, then add the celery, carrot, onion, bay leaves, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Note: You can pulse the celery, carrots, and onion together in a food processor until uniformly ground—this saves a bit of prep time, and the finer texture of the vegetables helps thicken the sauce a bit. Cook for about 5 minutes, until beginning to soften. Stir in the garlic and tomato paste and fry for about a minute. Then add the flour, stirring to coat, followed by the lentils, porcini mushrooms, wine, bullion, and 1 ½ cups of the reserved porcini liquid. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 18 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
5. Fold in the seared mushrooms and beets (along with any liquid at the bottom of the saucepan). Taste for salt. Simmer for a few minutes to heat thoroughly, then serve hot, over rice, polenta, mashed potatoes. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Check out Lukas here: https://www.instagram.com/lukasvolger/
And his cookbook here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0062883593?tag=imprintweb-20
Subscribe to Well+Good’s channel for more healthy recipes: https://www.youtube.com/c/Wellandgood
Want more great recipes? Check out more episodes of Cook With Us here:
Pickled chickpea tsukemen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFWOgbCMqyI
Gluten-free pasta with kale: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8olkzuEZw0M
20 minute kale caesar salad: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXvGEkr2XEs
From the beginning, Well+Good launched as the premier lifestyle and news publication devoted to the wellness scene—and its chic lifestyle components. Created by two journalists—and joined by many more—Well+Good is known for its impeccable reporting and trend-spotting on the healthy living beat. Well+Good has become the leading source of intel on boutique fitness and the juice industry, plus cutting-edge nutrition, natural beauty, and more. Well+Good is your healthiest relationship.
You can find Well+Good here:
Site 🖥️: https://www.wellandgood.com
Instagram 📸: https://www.instagram.com/iamwellandg…
Facebook 👍: https://www.facebook.com/iamwellandgood
Twitter 🐤: https://twitter.com/iamwellandgood
Pinterest 📌: https://www.pinterest.com/iamwellandgood/