In this episode we make a delicious vegan stuffing in an acorn squash. One of our best tasting dishes yet. Try it out for the holidays or any day for that matter. Remember, keep your doors locked and don’t play with zombies…
Subscribe to The Vegan Zombie
The Vegan Zombie
Stuffed Acorn Squash
serves 4 / time 60 min
2 acorn squash
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp pepper
2/3 cup onion diced
½ cup vegan sausage or sweet seitan small dice
1/3 cup vegan buttery spread i.e. Earth Balance Buttery Spread
1 cup veggie broth
4 cups bread diced
1 tsp thyme dried
1 tsp sage dried
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs vegan breadcrumbs
1. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Carefully cut the squash in half lengthwise. Slice a small wedge off the bottom for support.
3. Brush agave nectar on each one and sprinkle salt on pepper on them. Put in 450 degree oven for 30 min. on a baking sheet.
4. In mixing bowl toss diced bread with 1 Tbs olive oil and bake in 450 degree oven for 5 min. Remove from oven and set aside.
5. Sauté onion in frying pan on a medium heat for about 5 min. Add vegan sausage or seitan and stir together. Take off heat and set aside.
6. In medium pot, bring veggie broth up to a boil. Add buttery spread and stir together. Turn heat off and add diced bread, thyme and sage. Stir it all together and add the vegan sausage and onions. Mix everything together.
7. Remove squash from oven and fill each one with the stuffing. Top off with some vegan breadcrumbs, a pinch of salt and pepper. Put them back in oven for 20 min.